Monday, July 11, 2011

Just trying to be like Rick and a tribute to the brosha

I have never really been into this whole blogging thing, but when my sports writing icon (Rick Reilly) said that all journalists and journalism students should have a blog, I signed up.  Mr. Rick Reilly is the reason I decided (when I was just 6 years old) that I wanted to be a sports writer.  I read one of his articles out of Sports Illustrated that my dad gave to me while I was in the hospital and have dreamed of taking Reilly's place on the back cover.  Some day it's gonna happen.

I guess before I never thought I would have much to say, but life right now could not get anymore exciting.  I just got engaged to the best guy in the whole world.  I know everyone says that when they are getting married, but let's get real.  When I say it, it's true.  I'm also back in Washington D.C. right now livin' it up amongst the important people for the summer.  Even though I have discovered that I would never really want to live on east coast (California is the only way to go) it has been pretty cool working out here.

As exciting as everything is right now, I have to dedicate this first post to my baby brother, Derek.  He just turned 18 this past week.  On his birthday I did not have much going on at work so I started to think back on all of the things I have done with him.  I remember watching him hammer the tiles on our front steps when he was like 4, jump two kids on his razor scooter when he was 7, chip his front tooth while trying to juggle a bat when he was 10, get the priesthood when he was 12, go with him to his first dance when he was 14, go on a his first date (with Skinny) when he was 16, and then graduate from high school as 17 year old punk.  And now he is only one year a way from going on a mission.  Once that thought crossed my mind, I almost started to cry (and by almost I mean not even close, but it sounded heart felt).  I can't wait to spend a whole year with him at BYU and I am even more excited to see what he will be doing a year from now.  He is a great kid and I am lucky to have had him with me all of these years. 

Here are just 18 lessons we have learned together:
1. Don't throw baseballs as high as you can to each other because you lose them in the sun and end up breaking windows.  And dad doesn't appreciate broken windows.
2. Slowing down does not count as stopping at a stop sign.
3. Even though we are white, with a little help from youtube and E-40 you can become the coolest kids on the dance floor.
4. Having a yellow car makes it very easy for everyone to spot you on the road.  Namely the parentals and the po-lice.
5. Putting little sisters down laundry shoots doesn't always end well.
6. Shooting your little brother doesn't always end well.
7. Don't spill your kool aid at the table because then mom will break a ketchup bottle all over your face.
8. Don't kidnap ducklings...you can't take care of them like the momma duck can.
9. When you are told that someone has experienced a nasty fall on a long board, listen to them because they are not joking.
10. You should always wait until the frost on your windows melts before driving. Otherwise you back into polls.
11. When mom tells you not to ride your bike down the street, listen, or you wind up with a broken arm.
12. iPods don't handle the washing machine too well.
13. Mopping the garage floor is, in fact, the stupidest chore ever.
14. Wash dad's car the right way the first time, otherwise you will have to do it a second.
15. Dipping your head in the pool does not count as taking a shower.
16. You can't actually flip all the way around on a hammock, you will brake your collarbone.
17. All important life lessons can be learned from watching Rocket Power.
18. Having your sibling as one of your best friends is the coolest.

Love ya, bro. Let the good times continue.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Reading this really did bring tears to MY eyes. I had no idea you learned so much growing up in our family. I will now consider my life's work a complete success with all the lessons you have learned. I can read that you are significantly more talented than Rick Reilly as it pertains to writing and I look forward to the day I get to read your work in Sports Ill. One additional learning opportunity you have yet to experience comes with marriage and kids but I will let you learn that on your own...as I said, my successful work with you is done. Now, where do I take your mom as a reward for having done so well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there are more life lessons where that came from. Take mom to Chipotle and get a fat chicken taco for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha loved it Carlie!!! Hey since you have a blog now maybe you should check out mine, theperkinsperks@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, when are you going put another post on this blog? I have been waiting and waiting!

    ReplyDelete